Unit 5 Let’s celebrate!
I. Teaching aims and learning objectives
By the end of the lesson, students should be able to:
1. know some information about Halloween;
2. develop the ability of reading comprehension.
II. Teaching contents
1. New words and phrases: USA, paint, inside, knock, shout, if, treat, special, mask, pumpkin lantern, tell about, in the USA, have lots of fun, dress up, wear masks, play a game with, knock on, play a trick on, on the evening of October 31, like … best
2. New structures: Thank you for telling me about the Mid-Autumn Festival.
If they do not give us a treat, we play a trick on them.
I like Halloween best.
III. Focus of the lesson and predicted area of difficulty
1. Understand the basic words and expressions about Halloween;
2. Get the main information with different reading skills.
IV. Teaching procedures
Step 1 Lead-in
T: What festival do you like best? Why? How do you celebrate it?
Step 2 Presentation
1. New words
T: Let’s watch a video. What’s the festival?
What do you know about Halloween? Let’s enjoy some pictures and read the new words.
T: Let me check if you have a good memory. Please close your eyes and spell the new words.
2. Fast reading
Here is a letter from Wendy to Millie. Please read it quickly and answer two questions.
(1) When is Halloween?
(2) What game do they play on Halloween?
3. Further reading
T: Read the letter again and write down the main ideas in front of each paragraph.
(1) Read the first paragraph and complete the form.
(2) Read Paragraph 2 and answer questions.
When is Halloween?
Who has lots of fun on that day?
How do people celebrate Halloween?
(3) Read Paragraph 3 and fill in the blanks.
Read this paragraph again. Work in groups and take turns to retell the game “trick or treat”. You can use the information on the screen to help you.
(4) Read Paragraph 4 and fill in the blanks.
4. Read and finish the exercises
(1) Read through the letter and complete Millie’s notes on page 59.
(2) Read the letter and finish Part B2 on page 59.
(3) Read the letter and finish Part B4 on page 60. Then work in pairs and act the dialogue out.
Step 4 Production
Work in groups of four. Talk about your favourite festival. You can use the following expressions to help you:
1. My favourite festival is …
2. It’s on/in …
3. We usually eat …
4. We can get some presents/have a party …
1. Read the letter and retell it with your own words.
2. Write about your favourite festival.