Unit 5 Let’s celebrate!
Comic strip and Welcome to the unit
I. Teaching aims and learning objectives
By the end of the lesson, students should be able to:
1. know some famous festivals in different countries;
2. know how to celebrate these festivals;
3. talk about their favourite festivals.
II. Teaching contents
1. New words and phrases: celebrate, guess, dress, as, Christmas, festival, because, present, together, moon cake, full, have a guess, dress up, on that day, get together, enjoy the full moon
2. New structures: Let’s celebrate!
How about the Monkey King?
What is your favourite festival?
III. Focus of the lesson and predicted area of difficulty
1. Master the new words;
2. Know how to celebrate the festivals in different countries.
IV. Teaching procedures
A Welcome to the unit
Step 1 Lead-in
T: First, let’s enjoy some pictures. What are these pictures about? (S: About different festivals.) What festivals do you know? Please talk with your partner and then we will have a group competition.
Step 2 Presentation
1. How to celebrate different festivals
T: You’ve known a lot of festivals. But do you know how people celebrate festivals? What do people usually do on that day? For example, look at the picture. What festival is it? How do people celebrate it? Have a talk with your partner. Another PK!
T: We can do many things on that day. Let’s read these phrases together.
T: Who can tell me what festivals we have talked about? Yes, and they are all Chinese festivals. Now, let’s play a guessing game. Guess what festival it is. It’s a Western festival. People get together and sing songs. Children get a lot of presents. There is a special tree with presents. Yes, Christmas! Who is it? Father Christmas! Now please talk about Christmas with your partner. You can begin like this: At Christmas, people usually …
T: Another Western festival: people have a big dinner with the family. They eat a special kind of food—turkey. Do you know turkey? It’s like chicken, but bigger than chicken. People celebrate the festival to show their thanks. It’s Thanksgiving Day. Please make complete sentences with your partner according to the key words on the screen.
T: The last festival, a western festival too. On that day, children play a special game called trick or treat. People have a party and wear special clothes. They may dress up as a ghost. It’s Halloween!
What will you dress up as if you have the chance? Please make complete sentences with your partner according to the key words on the screen.
T: So much for the festivals. Now, let’s read these words and phrases together.
T: Millie is writing a list of festivals. Look at the pictures. Help her write the names of the festivals under the pictures. Read the names of the festivals again.
T: Let me check your memory.
(1) People in the USA eat the turkey’s (火鸡) meat on ____________________.
(2) At __________________, we can get red packets from our parents.
(3) Jim likes ____________________ because he likes eating moon cakes.
(4) At ___________, they can open their Christmas presents.
(5) Sandy likes ___________________ because she likes eating rice dumplings.
(6) People often dress up as a ghost on __________.
B Comic Strip
Step 1 Presentation
1. Listen and answer the questions
T: What festival are Eddie and Hobo talking about? How will they celebrate?
T: Read the dialogue after the tape and answer two more questions.
(1) Why is Eddie very happy?
(2) What does Hobo dress up as at last?
Read the dialogue with your partner and try to act it out.
2. Make a summary
Today is ________. Eddie and Hobo will _______it. Hobo is dressing ______ as a _____. But Eddie says it’s not ______. So Hobo will dress up as ___________.
Step 2 Practice
1. Listen and answer questions
T: What festival do you like? Why? Millie and Tommy are chatting online about their favourite festivals. Let’s listen to the tape and answer:
(1) Why does Tommy like Christmas?
(2) What do people do to celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival?
2. Talk about favourite festivals
Work in pairs and make a similar dialogue like Millie and Tommy’s.
3. Sum up
T: Today, we’ve learnt a lot about festivals. You also talked about your favourite festivals. All of you did a very good job. Here are some words for you. Let’s read together.
Learn from different festivals.
Learn about different cultures.
Enjoy your life.
1. Collect more information about the festivals you like.
2. Review the new words and phrases.