Unit 10
You’re supposed to shake hands.
(3)
This information comes from Yang Xuehuiat Shili high school in Xihe, Gansu.
喂,对不起,我有点迟到。
Hi! Sorry, I’m a little late.
你迟了十分钟。
You are 10 minutes late!
就
10
分钟,没什么大不了的!
It’s just 10 minutes! It’s no big deal!
嗯,在瑞士,你应该准时到场。
Well, in Switzerland, you are supposed to be on time.
第一次与某人见面时你应该做什么?
What are you supposed to do when you meet someone for the first time?
你应该握手。
You’re supposed to shake hands.
你不应该亲吻。
You’re not supposed to kiss.
你本应该何时到达?
When were you supposed to arrive?
我本应该
7
点到达。
I was supposed to arrived at 7:00.
我本应该穿牛仔裤吗?
Am I supposed to wear jeans?
不,你应该穿西装打领带。
No, you’re expected to wear a suit and tie.
让别人等候不礼貌吗?
Is it impolite to keep others waiting?
是,让别人等候是不礼貌的。
Yes, it’s very impolite to keep others waiting.
守时很重要吗?
Is it important to be on time?
对,守时很重要。
Yes, it’s important to be on time.
你去国外时带上通行证非常重要。
When you go abroad, it is important to bring your passport.
下课后同学们本应该擦黑板上的粉笔字。
After class, students are supposed to clean the chalk off the blackboard.
如果在冬季期间你参观挪威北岸的话,
If you visit the northern coast of Norway during the winter season,
携带厚衣服很重要。
it is important to pack warm clothes.
倘若会议室里有人的话,
If there are people in the meeting room,
进门前你应该敲门。
you are supposed/expected to knock before entering.
在许多东欧国家,
In many eastern European countries,
握手之前
before shaking hands,
你应该抹掉手套。
you are supposed/expected to take off your gloves.
每个国家都有不同的社交规定。
Each country has different rules about social situations.
一位旅行者没有必要知道所有规定,
A traveler is not expected to know all of these,
但是尽可能多地了解些风俗习惯很有帮助。
but it is helpful to learn as many of these customs as possible.
在外国公认的最好方法就是设法理解人们的思想。
One of the best ways to be accepted in a foreign country is to try to understand how people think.
在社交场合学些你应该做与不应该做的知识可能很难,
Learning what you are supposed to do and not supposed to do in social situations may be difficult,
但如果你想了解别的文化那就更是难上加难。
but it is worth the trouble if you want to understand another culture.
注意礼仪!
Mind your manners!
在印度你本应该用手吃饭。
In India, you’re supposed to eat with your hands.
在中国你本不该把你的筷子插进饭菜里。
In China, you’re not supposed to stick your chopsticks into the food.
在韩国最年小的人不应该先吃饭。
In Korea, the youngest person is not expected to start eating first.
在法国你应该把面包放桌子上。
In France, you’re supposed to put your bread on the table.
如果桌旁有老人的话,你不应该先吃饭。
You’re not supposed to start eating first if there are older people at the table.
把筷子插进饭菜里不讲礼貌。
It’s impolite to stick your chopsticks into your food.
你不应该用筷子指任何人。
You shouldn’t point at anyone with your chopsticks.
我们本该讲餐桌礼仪。
We’re supposed to use our table manners.
对。用筷子指人没家教。
Yes, and it’s impolite to point anyone with chopsticks.
我侄女去了美国,
My cousin went to America,
她说了解最基本的餐桌礼仪是她最大的挑战。
and she said that learning basic table manners was her biggest challenge.
她根本不知道就餐时本应该干什么。
She never knew what she was supposed to do at the dinner table.
Good habits achieve beautiful life.
Try to be your best
.